The family of a newborn baby who died after being bitten by their pet Jack Russell dog have said that they are ‘devasted’ by his death.
Eight-day-old Harry Harper died from his injuries after the pet attacked him while he was staying at his grandparents’ home.
His distraught family said today: ‘We are absolutely devastated by Harry’s death and have no words to describe the loss we have suffered.
Eight day old Harry Harper died after being bitten by a Jack Russell dog while staying at his grandparents’ house in Ketley, Shropshire
Grandad Gordon Bell with daughter Mikayla and grandson Harry who died after being bitten yesterday
A police car sits outside the house in Ketley, where Harry Harper was bitten by a dog yesterday morning. He later died in hospital
‘At the present time we have no wish to speak publicly about yesterday’s events and would ask that we are left in peace to grieve and begin to deal with our loss.’
Police and ambulance crews rushed to the semi-detached property in Ketley, Telford, Shropshire, just after 8am on Tuesday.
But despite the desperate efforts of paramedics to save the child, he died at the Princes Royal Hospital in Telford.
Harry’s mother Mikayla, 19, was staying with her parents, Gordon Bell, 42, and Teresa, 40, when the attack happened.
Police stood guard today outside the grandparents’ £119,000 three-bedroom semi-detached home.
Part-time model Mikayla, 19, gave birth to 7lb Harry on November 12 and posted pictures of her new baby on her Twitter page.
Posting a picture of her son wearing a cute duck baby-grow, she wrote: ‘My life harry 7pounds 12-11-12.’
Heartbreakingly, just one day before her son was killed, proud Mikayla wrote: ‘Not gonna lie this little boy gets far to [sic] many kisses.’
A police spokesman said officers were awaiting the result of a post-mortem examination, and have launched an investigation to establish the precise circumstances of the death.
Initial indications however, suggest that the boy died as a result of a dog bite, said police.
The spokesman said: ‘Police and ambulance were called to an address in Ketley, about a young baby that was unwell.
‘He was taken to the Princess Royal Hospital in Telford by paramedics but died soon after.
‘As in all cases of the death of a young child, West Mercia Police has launched an investigation to establish the exact circumstances.’
The dog involved in the incident has since been put down.
All our thoughts are with the family of the baby at this extremely sad time.’
Dozens of friends of gran Teresa, who has six children, rushed to comfort her with touching messages on her Facebook page.
Louise Boden wrote: ‘I’m so so sorry for your loss my heart goes out to all of you Xxxx’
Niki Yeomans added: ‘Such a sad time my thoughts and love go to all of you. There’s nothing we can say to take it away but we are here if you need us! All our love n prayers xx’
Tragically, just a week earlier friends had been flocking to the same page to congratulate Teresa on the birth of her grandson.
Luke Norton-Smith wrote: ‘Congratulations Nanny and Granddad bell (sic), hope your all okay? Well done to Mikayla too X’
Neighbours said that the couple, who have been married for 20 years, had been celebrating the birth of the baby just a week before.
A man, who did not want to be named, said: ‘It’s absolutely tragic, they seemed absolutely made up at getting a grandson last week and for this to happen, it’s just devastating.
‘You can’t imagine what they must be going through.’
Neighbour Nigel Pitchford said today that although the dog was small it was vicious.
He said: ‘It’s very sad news – the whole street is shocked to hear what has happened. They only brought the baby home from hospital a few days ago.
‘The dog is only little, but it is very vicious.
‘I tried to post a Christmas card through their letterbox last year, and it went for my hand as I posted it through.
‘It was only small but a vicious little thing.
Baby Harry’s grandmother Teresa and grandfather Gordon
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2236193/Newborn-dies-bitten-pet-Jack-Russell-dog-grandparents-house-tragic-accident.html#ixzz2CsK5PX3K
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook